Traversing the Education-Workforce Continuum
Rick Torres, President and CEO, National Student Clearinghouse Discusses the Details
Imagine a future where learners can instantly verify their skills, credentials, and employment. Thanks to the National Student Clearinghouse, this future is already becoming a reality.
In this podcast episode of An Educated Guest, Todd Zipper, EVP and GM of Wiley University Services and Talent Development, interviews Rick Torres, President and CEO of the National Student Clearinghouse. They discuss topics such as the “K-20 to workforce continuum”, the top factors accelerating enrollment declines, and how a “point of no return” now requires higher ed to pivot for good.
- How the Clearinghouse is evolving paper transcripts into a digital credentials’ wallet
- How the credentials ecosystem is becoming less of a “wild west”
- Why employers have been upskilling talent in-house and how higher ed institutions can help
- Understanding recent enrollment declines via the community college sector
- Why universities, states, and federal policymakers must work in tandem to track education and job outcomes
Clearinghouse President and CEO Torres states, “There is a big evolution in higher education, and, frankly, it’s in some cases a revolution, which requires colleges to focus on the education-to-workforce continuum. The Clearinghouse is developing platforms and services that can help higher education institutions better tie their delivery of education to learning outcomes.
“The latest data reaffirms that there is an evolution in higher education that is giving fuel to skill-based learning. Skill-based learning, pipelining into the workforce, lifelong learning, and all of these things are real. Many institutions are going to have to evolve the way they deliver education services to the broader constituencies that they serve.”
“There is a big evolution in higher education, and, frankly, it’s in some cases a revolution, which requires colleges to focus on the education-to-workforce continuum.”
President and CEO, National Student Clearinghouse