Why do you have wrong information in your system?

All information provided to the Clearinghouse comes directly from the school. If there is a dispute, please email us and provide your name, date of birth, school name, transaction ID (if available), and what information you are claiming. We will reach out to the school to obtain the most up to date information and provide that to the requestor.

In some cases, we may ask that you contact your school if you have placed a block on your records or you have a hold on your records.