The National Student Clearinghouse is excited to announce the official release of our 2020 CIP Code Phase III enhancement, as of May 27, 2021. This release includes the following functionality:
If you have converted to 2020 CIP Codes:
- For students requiring correction to any of the unique program identifiers (the CIP code, the CIP Year, the Credential Level, Published Program Length Measurement, and Weeks in Title IV Academic Year), new functionality has been added to Student Look-Up to enable you to make these changes via our secure site and move the NSLDS enrollment history from the old to the new program. To learn how to use Student Look-Up’s new “Move Program” functionality, watch our CIP Code Manual Linkage via the Student Look-Up Tab. PLEASE NOTE: Because using “Move Program” triggers the NSLDS 004 record type, your institution will not have to use the “W” (Withdrawn) or “X” (Never Attended) statuses to report certain program change scenarios.
- “Move Program” is also available on our Error Resolution on the Web platform and can be used to resolve Clearinghouse Error Codes 1568 and 1577. To learn how to use “Move Program” on Error Resolution on the Web, please watch our tutorial.
- REMINDER: This functionality is only for CORRECTIONS. It should not be used for standard program changes. If a student was legitimately enrolled in the old program and is moving to a new program, please use the “W” (Withdrawn) or “X” (Never Attended) statuses, as appropriate.
- If you need to update a large number of students, please contact the Clearinghouse at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the analyst assigned to your Error Resolution on the Web report.
If you have not started to report 2020 CIP codes:
You can update to the 2020 CIP code values at your convenience. Please note: NSLDS and FSA have not issued a formal deadline for this transition, although the 2020 NCES Lookup Table values continue to be required for COD (Common Origination & Disbursement) and financial aid reporting.
IMPORTANT: If you participate in “G from DegreeVerify”:
If your institution participates in our optional “G from DegreeVerify” service, you must report the same CIP Code values (2010 or 2020) in your DegreeVerify submissions as in your enrollment data submission. If you do not report the same CIP Code values, we will be unable to match your DegreeVerify data to your enrollment data, which could result in a significant uptick in the number of students on your “G-Not-Applied” tab. Alternatively, you can send graduated statuses via a Graduates Only transmission, which will create the necessary graduated status for enrollment and compliance reporting purposes.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact our Compliance & Data Operations team at email@example.com or 703.742.4200 (select options #7, #2).
- Student Look-Up “Move Program” tutorial
- Error Resolution on the Web tutorial for EC1568, EC1577, and “Move Program”
- Clearinghouse FAQs: Converting to the 2020 CIP Codes FAQs
- Compliance Central: Phase II of Clearinghouse’s CIP 2020 Enhancement Released
- Compliance Central: Phase I of Clearinghouse’s CIP 2020 Enhancement Released
- Compliance Central: November Updates: New NSLDS Guide & Our CIP 2020 Enhancement
- Federal Student Aid: IFAP: nsldsnewsletter68