This post is an update to our December 13, 2019, announcement on 2020 CIP code changes.
On March 18, 2020, Federal Student Aid (FSA) posted an update on the implementation of the 2020 CIP codes within Federal Student Aid systems. You’ll find vital information on how this relates to your enrollment and compliance reporting with the Clearinghouse below.
Common Origination & Disbursement (COD) System
- Beginning April 26, 2020, schools must leverage the 2020 CIP Code and year combinations in the COD System for the 2020-2021 award year and going forward, including all Pell Grants, Direct Loans and TEACH Grant Records.
- FSA is expected to offer more detailed information in the next few weeks.
National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
- Per FSA, in late April, NSLDS will be updated to allow 2020 CIP Codes to be submitted via 1) batch reporting, 2) NSLDS enrollment spreadsheet, and 3) the Enrollment Maintenance page of the NSLDS Professional Access website.
- NOTE: Your school can continue to report 2010 CIP codes to NSLDS until it is prepared to report 2020 CIP codes. The Clearinghouse can help facilitate this process when you are ready to convert to the CIP Year 2020 (see the “How the Clearinghouse Is Supporting Schools” section below).
- Once you report a student’s enrollment status update in the updated 2020 CIP code and CIP year combination, you cannot revert to the previously reported 2010 CIP Code and CIP year combination. Doing so will create an error for the student in the NSLDS for your school.
- Additional guidance is expected from FSA and NSLDS within the next several weeks.
How the Clearinghouse Is Supporting Schools
- We are actively engaged with NSLDS and FSA to ensure we are aligned with their approach.
- NOTE: Because the Clearinghouse is awaiting final guidance from FSA and NSLDS, we CANNOT accept 2020 CIP codes and CIP Years at this time.
- We are implementing 2020 CIP code reporting in three phases:
- Add rules to assist in updating CIP codes unchanged from 2010 to 2020. If a CIP code (and all other program identifiers) remain the same, we will provide resources and logic to update the CIP Year to 2020 in bulk.
- Enable you to validate CIP codes you have submitted that have been deleted or moved via our secure site’s Error Resolution on the Web. If the CIP code/CIP year combination is incorrect, you will see an error notification requesting that you review and update these values before submitting the data for final approval.
- Incorporate changes in how we respond to NSLDS Enrollment Reporting Rosters on your behalf and expand functionality on our secure site for CIP codes that have changed but whose program identifiers remain the same. We continue to work with FSA and NSLDS on this third phase of our approach. As soon as the final guidance is published, we will begin defining requirements and developing our solution.
We will continue to keep you informed of this very important change. If you have questions or concerns related to your enrollment and compliance reporting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.742.4200 (option 5, then 2).