User Login | FTP Login | Privacy
Careers | Self-Help | Contact Us

Home » Colleges & Universities » StudentTracker » Cohort Query & SAM

Cohort Query & SAM

Student Achievement Measure (SAM) and StudentTracker

The Student Achievement Measure (SAM) Project is a joint initiative of the six national higher education presidential associations: the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC), AASCU, the American Council on Education (ACE), the Association of American Universities (AAU), A·P·L·U, and the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU). The Clearinghouse has updated its cohort query output to provide institutions with the additional tables related to SAM.

You must participate in our Enrollment Reporting, DegreeVerify and StudentTracker services to produce the StudentTracker SAM report.

Frequently Asked Questions

c Expand All C Collapse All

Cohort Query & SAM

Yes, when you join the Clearinghouse, you have a one-time opportunity to submit historical enrollment files. Once your institution is active, we cannot add historical records to the active system. As you prepare to go live with your Enrollment Reporting service (aka, Core), make sure you consider how far back your data needs to go to produce a complete outcomes table.

One of the key precepts of the Clearinghouse’s partnership with our participating institutions is that you must share your enrollment and degree information in order to receive the same data from other participating institutions. This ensures that all schools are treated equally. Therefore, in order to receive degree information in your StudentTracker file, you must provide your data to us.

Yes, if your system office has a StudentTracker agreement with the Clearinghouse and your school participates in our Enrollment Reporting (aka, Core) and DegreeVerify services, your system office can submit these requests on your behalf. System accounts do not currently have the ability to submit this query type through their own accounts for the entire system. However, they can submit the data on behalf of each school.

No, unfortunately. Because the Clearinghouse uses a live reporting system, the nuances of adding historical files are extensive. If you did not submit historical enrollment files to the Clearinghouse, you should consider the following:

  • If your institution has participated with the Clearinghouse long enough to get the four-year retention rate (i.e., Fall 2004 for the Fall 2000 freshmen cohort), then the data you need for the Student Achievement Measure will be available.
  • If your institution began its Enrollment Reporting service (aka, Core) more recently, you will need to contact a SAM official about options for creating your local retention rates internally until you have sufficient historical data to use the StudentTracker tool. The Clearinghouse can still produce the transfer, retention, and completion rates for you.

If you have specific research questions, please contact the Clearinghouse’s Research Manager, Jason DeWitt.

Please contact the Student Achievement Measure Executive Director at or visit

Research Services


Contact us to hear more about our services for educational organizations, like government agencies and others.