- The National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit organization, was founded by the higher education community in 1993.
- Through the years, we have regularly been approached by institutions to expand our services to meet their growing compliance, administrative, student access, accountability, and analytical needs. As a result, our service line now comprises four areas: Data Exchange Services (including Transcript Services and Reverse Transfer), Financial Aid Services, Research Services, and Verification Services.
- Only the Clearinghouse offers access to a nationwide coverage of enrollment and degree records — encompassing over 252 million students and growing..
- Our secondary education research initiative, launched in 2009, will provide the first national secondary education research and reporting system.
- The research arm of the Clearinghouse, the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, was created in 2010.
- More than 3,600 colleges and universities, enrolling over 98% of all students in public and private U.S. institutions, participate in the Clearinghouse
- Our degree verification service, DegreeVerify, represents over 90% of U.S. four-year degrees.
- Over 3,400 institutions participate in our enrollment verification service, EnrollmentVerify, represents over 90% of currently enrolled U.S. college students.
- Hundreds of high school districts and thousands of high schools participate in the Clearinghouse.
- All guarantors and most major student loan lenders and servicers participate in the Clearinghouse.
- Thousands of the nation's largest employers, recruiters and background search firms have contracted with the Clearinghouse to perform secure, online academic verifications.
- The Clearinghouse performs more than 1.2 billion education record transactions annually.
- Over 4 million degrees are confirmed through DegreeVerify each year.
- Nearly 4 million enrollment verifications are performed through EnrollmentVerify each year.
- Transcripts are requested for nearly 3.5 million recipients each year via our Transcript Ordering service.
- Our free Student Self-Service program is used by nearly 2 million students each year.